Thursday, January 19, 2012

County Judge Escobar to Constituent Alejandro "Alex" Guzman "U R NOT MY FB FRIEND"


"U R NOT MY FACEBOOK FRIEND" if you dare have an opinion different than County Judge Veronica Escobar who "unfriended" her constituent the respected Alex Guzman, a social political Democratic Activist and prominent Gay Rights Advocate



As I stated in my previous "Blog Housekeeping" post, a respected blogger shared with me some thoughts and suggestions on how to go about blogging.  

He suggested that if I make fun of something or someone to make sure I 
also make fun of myself. Tell a story, what did I learn from the experience…how does it apply to a blog post. And so it is in the spirit of telling a story, that I comment and tie my “U R not my friend” story to the current scandal between County Judge Veronica Escobar and one of her prominent Democratic constituents Alejandro “Alex” Guzman.


Technology has certainly altered communication, especially for politico’s and politics.  My last year serving in the Texas legislature, I was involved in the “shorthand” text messaging scandal known as “U R not my friend”.  To tell this story, I must first share that I was never part of the Alicia Chacon/Paul Moreno political faction.  They never asked me to run for public office. And after I beat their candidate Nacho Padilla, I was never able to develop a good relationship with Paul because of his sister.  Making a very, very, long story short, I eventually got involved with the opponent that would defeat him and that would be the beginning of the end of my legislative career.

Lilly Ruiz, my at the time District Director, was anxious to introduce me to a young woman she said would be an excellent candidate against veteran Paul Moreno.  And so I met Marisa Marquez at Carlos and Mickey’s for a vetting session. After the initial meeting, I decided to get involved in her run to defeat Paul. I took her to Austin, set up her meetings with key individuals in the lobby, introduced her to Bob Hoy, Maria Teran, Robert Brown and others, and suggested her to people who would eventually introduce her to her political deep pockets the Texans for Lawsuit Reform . They funded most of her campaign, aside from the initial seed money her father gave her, and funded the TV scripts I wrote, the radio spots I wrote and produced, and ¾ of her political mail I developed (I have the computer files if she says otherwise). She was a quick study but through that campaign both Lilly and I recognized she was less than honorable and that we had done a big mistake helping her.  She treated us both so poorly, but I insisted we stay involved because my political capital was at stake (little did we know what was at stake taking him out).

Every beginning of a legislative session, the Latina senior members of the House have an informal dinner to meet the incoming freshmen Latinas.  A meet and greet. In 2009, we went to the Fonda San Miguel and in a private room we conversed with our colleagues. I sat at one corner of a long table, Marquez at the other.  As the evening went on and as the wine got to her head, she started to make fun of an extra credit class project I had asked her to help me with during her campaign because I needed extra points for a test.  In front of all the Latina women colleagues, she made fun of my class and the extra credit project. The women legislators closest to me were shocked and tried to talk over her loudness and increasingly drunkenness.  I said nothing.  That is how we started our session together.

In May, as I reached the end of my last legislative session, and as I reached my higher education goal and was getting ready to “walk”, I made arrangements for my family and close friends coming to Austin and accommodated my colleagues who wanted to be a witness at the ceremony. It was going to be the most important ceremony in my life, second to my first swearing in ceremony.  And seeing Marisa Marquez on the House floor, I was reminded of her laughing at me after asking her for help. I sent her a text, “U R not my friend” I don’t want you at my family event please.  And from there it was a story in the El Paso Times, and blogged here and there.  I’m not proud of that. It was my mistake, but Marisa Marquez dishonoring me again, now by giving the text to the press, was equally wrong and unforgiveable. 

We all know Facebook is a social media networking system that crosses all lines of communication.  If you are not on Facebook, you know someone who is. Universities are now studying the implications of social media, where a few short years ago most political consultants said, “don’t worry about blogs – no one reads them” and most politicos didn’t have Facebook pages. Now members of Congress, and elected officials in all levels of government have a Facebook page of some sort and all political consultants suggest a dedicated political person to deal with social media and blogs.  Candidates for office use it widely and President Barack Obama is probably the trend setter on social media political outreach.

I didn’t really use Facebook, as an open discussion forum until I was no longer an officeholder.  There are too many opportunities to establish a permanent internet footprint and to write the wrong thing, or possibility to have something taken out of perspective.  So I used it as a cautious “hello” type tool until I was no longer in office. 

So it is with amazement that I witness County Judge Veronica Escobar with her very own social media scandal.  She has de-friended Alejandro “Alex” Guzman calling him a “liar, bully, and stalker” on FACEBOOK.  She is very dismissive of a hard working, well respected Democratic social political activist and Gay Rights advocate.  Further, on her wall and post, coming to her defense is the County “Ethics” Attorney Michael Wyatt, who was her immediate past campaign treasurer, and who had to resign from being her treasurer, in order to be nominated, hired, and paid a six figure salary funded by the taxpayers of El Paso.

The reason that Alex is being “de-friended” by Judge Escobar on Facebook, is not because he ridiculed her, but because he has pointed out her political policy mistakes.

He is being de-friended by Judge Escobar because Alex will go head-to-head with her on the issues and has bluntly stated that her political standing for a Republican created Redistricting map is wrong, and because he calls her political pandering of the map she favors for her political ally, as self serving and not in the best interest of the overall County she represents, nor is it good for Democrats statewide. He points out that she is willing to pontificate for her political BFF’s (best friends forever) at the expense of the taxpayer and her constituents .

He was de-friended after posting videos of the disabled community and ASARCO workers picketing a political forum and her BFF, Baytoe O’Rourke, at a Congressional forum.  He was de-friended because he has called her out for her blatant mistake pushing and screaming, that all of Ft. Bliss was going to be awarded to a San Antonio Congress person, which she publicly learned was FALSE!! 

He was de-friended because he pointed out to her that Ft. Bliss has always had dual representation because it crosses over into New Mexico. He was de-friended by Judge Escobar because he stated how ridiculous she looked to the state and national Democratic Resdistricting attorneys including the Civil Rights legal team MALDEF, after she commanded County Attorney JoAnn Bernal to be directly involved SUPPORTING the gerrymandered Republican map that violates the Voting Rights Act, suppresses Latino voters, and removed the vitally important Lower Valley from being represented by an El Paso Congressman.

He is being de-friended because he called her out when she made fun of the Democratic Party “enchilada” fundraisers and because she marginalized the Democratic Party banner she runs under.  He is being de-friended because his Facebook wall became a memory wall of her unflattering Playboy Magazine interview with her other BFF playmate, Rep. Susie Byrd, calling rolled tacos at an El Paso favorite eatery “Chicos Tacos” a unique delicatessen for locals because of the “good welfare cheese” flavor. 

Alejandro “Alex” Guzman, even though you helped and campaigned for her – “U R NOT HER FRIEND”. County Judge Veronica Escobar and her political faction the “Veronicuns” (named for their politically cunning and deceitful ways) are not your friends!  I cannot imagine a County Judge in anywhere Texas un-friending a CONSTITUENT who has simply pointed out political policy errors and boondoggles that could hurt a constituency and the County she leads.
###    


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Escobar's private Facebook? Methinks she should be able to friend or defriend whoever she pleases.

Ju Teixeira said...

Interesting, I remember reading in the paper all about the "U R not my friend" scandal before I knew you, Norma (I think I shook your hand once at some Obama campaign event at most at that time). When I read it, the first thing that came to my mind was 1) how unbecoming and immature of an elected official-- Marisa Marquez-- to go to the press with this, and 2) how stupid of the newspaper to make this a major political "scandal." Of course, this was the EPT we were talking about.

The other thing that crossed my mind was that just because you were an elected official, did not mean that you had lost the right to deny the presence of certain individuals at your private events or to have personal discussions that had nothing to do with official business.

Most of all, this "scandal" had nothing to do with how you were managing the people's business or any major policy issue. If anything, it was a distraction provoked by some infantile, vindictive lady.

On that same note, I have seen this latest FB reaction from County Judge Escobar both with humor and disappointment, and I publicly expressed my sentiments on FB, under my very own name. After all, I am a constituent and have the right to express my views about my elected officials. And true to my convictions, I do not hide when it comes to speaking my mind, ever (trust me, ask my professional colleagues!).

At the same time, I am not surprised about Ms. Escobar's infantile behavior on social media. I have never met the lady, do not know her personally and she is not my FB "friend." I was never interested. Most of what I know is what I pick up from research (I'm a geek like that) that I do on candidates and public officials who I don't know much about before voting. But I can say that on previous occasions, as is the nature of FB and other social media with its interconnections and "small world" atmosphere, I have had a couple of "cyber-exchanges" on other friends' walls with her. The subject doesn't matter, but each time, her behavior was just like this: immature, shrill and above all silly. What also struck me was her lack of substance and knowledge on the issues and her attitude towards some stranger who just happened to be a constituent. It certainly didn't hurt my feelings, but it sure cost her my vote!

As a constituent, I found it extremely distasteful not because she disagreed with me, but that she would engage in such manner with a constituent. It was as they say, conduct unbecoming a public official and a lady who should be a role model for young latinas.

Perhaps it was unfair to form my impression of the lady on such trivial incidents. However, sadly, her public demonstrations and behavior during this congressional campaign have done little to change that opinion I have of her, whether its her being uninformed about facts before making public pronouncements, her use of official time to campaign for her friend and her infantile reactions in public.

Let's hope that she takes pause and instead of adopting a victimized posture, she matures and devotes her efforts to managing the people's business more efficiently and dignified.

Anonymous said...

very profound ms norma, WOW. when is round 2?

Anonymous said...

Housekeeping 101: It's time to clean house...at the ballot box!

Anonymous said...

You are no longer my blog friend, Facbook friend and don't even try to talk to me at bingo because you talked bad about the Republican Party. I am sending you a certified letter with an official "unfriended" notice. Inside you will find our friendship bracelets we made for each other cut in half. And don't try to text me, IM me or inbox me. OUR FRIENDSHIP IS OVER!

Sammy C

Anonymous said...

I think the Judge has every right to unfriend harassing, vengeful zealots who push hateful, name-calling dogma, be it white supremacist or gay-rights advocates.

Norma said...

I love the statistics on this eblogger, and want to thank the El Paso WASM (White Anglo Saxon Male)Blogger for the direct referrals from his bloggie!

Anonymous said...

Why are we all so interested about who anybody friends or de-friends o a social network? Or even the reasoning behind it. and Alex Guzman, well respected? perhaps popular but so is Perez Hilton...

Anonymous said...

Norma, you're like a seductress... you whisper and the two of them come panting like dogs seeking the heat. lol they can't get enough of you. I'd be flattered!

Anonymous said...

Gay rights advocate? Ha! That guy, Guzman, is an embarrassment to the gay community in El Paso. He's such a sell out. He has sided on the wrong side of gay issues every time.

Norma said...

Anonymous (1/24/12) Alex is more than a gay rights activist. He is a stalwart Democrat known as a "boots on the ground" soldier for the Democrats he chooses to supports. He will work a full day and then volunteer until 12 midnight for his candidates, phone bank, enter walk sheet data, prepare walk packets, go home and start the day all over again until the end of campaign season. He is passionate about his causes and the people he supports and will loudly defend his cause. He is not afraid to stand up to any man or woman regardless of title, he does his research, and prepares himself for battle. He is not a showboat, he is a work horse. I can attest to his loyalty, and in politics there is MUCH to be said about loyalty. Any political candidate is very fortunate to have Alex on their side.